Technical Sales Consultant - Northern Indiana
Solar technology has been around for decades, so why has the industry recently exploded? Solar costs less than traditional utility power providing immediate and long-term cost savings yielding it to be one of the fastest-growing industries in the nation.
Harvest Solar, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, is a Michigan-based company that provides cost-effective renewable energy for agriculture, commercial, and utility customers yielding more energy independence by utilizing solar energy. We believe in energy independence and a sustainable future for our children and grandchildren. Our purpose is to empower people to create and use renewable energy by providing them with the best‐in‐class service, products, and experience.
We are seeking a Technical Sales Coordinator (TSC) to develop and manage solar project proposals with commercial customers and develop proposals for commercial projects that lead to successful project outcomes for all stakeholders. TSC is responsible for presenting preliminary and formal design, cash flow projections, financing options, project feasibility, communicating effectively with customers, and seeing projects through to full execution. Position will be selling cash, financing, and PPA/lease solar transactions. TSC is required to be a team player and work efficiently within the various departments to hit revenue goals.
The base salary for the position is $50,000.00 USD based on knowledge, skill and experience with sales commission. The commission percentage varies between 1% and 4% of gross project amount based on job details and competitiveness of bid.
Major Responsibilities of Position
- Work strategically and craft a development plan, maintain an active business pipeline, engage regularly with sales prospects and customer leads.
- Generate commercial and industrial solar leads by working with the marketing department, networking, and other independent lead generation.
- Conduct financial analysis on the customer’s energy usage and demonstrate the value of solar energy.
- Sell both cash as well as PPA (Power Purchase Agreement) deals.
- Ability to read basic single line drawings and identify commercial-grade electrical equipment.
- Familiarity (not necessarily expertise) with three phase power, large electrical services, and some knowledge of medium voltage systems
- Understanding of utility rate structures and other factors impacting Return on Investment
- Knowledge of solar + storage systems a plus; willingness and ability to learn required.
- Be well versed in presenting the short and long-term financial returns and environmental impact of solar energy.
- Maintain knowledge of financing options for solar, understand the cost benefit analysis and present well on the return on investment.
- Set referral and self-generated appointments.
- Show a consultative based approach to selling the value of solar.
- Log all customer communications in CRM contact database with keen attention to detail.
- Drive satisfaction and future referrals through prompt follow through and friendly customer service
- Maintain knowledge of the status of commercial rebates and incentives at the local, state, and federal level
- Frequently attend industry / networking events, webinars, trade shows, zoning meetings, etc.
- Availability and willingness to often work outside of “normal hours” to stay caught up and prompt with Customers.
- Represent Harvest Solar as an ambassador for our vision, driving increased solar awareness.
- Other duties, responsibilities, and activities as assigned.
The successful candidate will have: (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Attributes)
- Ability to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Ability to understand financial models and select various types of finance packages based on the client's needs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong negotiation and presentation skills
- Sales driven and competitive personality.
- Ability to take full ownership of projects and ensure their success even if it means going above and beyond the norm to accomplish them.
- Ability to organize work and tasks to drive results; expected to perform multiple tasks well and in a timely manner, managing several projects at once.
- Ability to interpret relevant industry codes / processes and understand products in a sales and administrative capacity.
- Ability to understand and act effectively in a changing environment as both the industry and organization grow.
- Ability to understand and support a small expanding business by recognizing problems and bringing solutions to the forefront.
- Willing to work hours necessary to support the accomplishment of organizational goals.
- Fluent use of Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.), email etiquette and ability to learn design software.
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team.
Educational and Certification Background
- Valid State Driver’s License, required.
- High school diploma or GED, required.
- 5+ years of technical sales experience (preferably power systems), required; 2+ years of experience in commercial solar sales preferred.
- Knowledge of solar energy and/or solar industry experience, preferred.
- Day travel up to 80% and Overnight-travel up to 10%: Harvest values our employees work life balance and whenever possible, overnight travel is Monday through Friday. Food per diem, hotel and transportations costs are covered for travel.
- Commercial Construction Setting 10% of the time: Job Site terrain and outdoor work with exposure to weather fluctuations in addition to construction site hazards.
- Office Environment 10% of the time: Busy office with frequent interruptions and multi-tasking required; standard office equipment is available including Microsoft Office
THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THE GENERAL NATURE AND LEVEL OF WORK PERFORMED BY INDIVIDUALS ASSIGNED TO THIS POSITION. THEY ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS.
Interested? We hope so! To be considered, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org